Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A little late, but it's still relevant to talk about politics

It's been a while since I've posted on this thing (laziness may be a factor, but it isn't the main one, I assure you), but I think it's still okay to talk about politics.

I have never made any bones on where I stand politically. It isn't a big deal, but at this point in my life, I know where I stand.

Still, maybe it's because I am in the position of power (if an assistant editor can be considered a powerful position), but I have become aware of others stances. A lot of times, they are different than mine. The purpose of this post isn't to deride anyone's beliefs, but rather to talk about making an effort to be more accommodating.

As a part of The Daily Illini's ethics policy, employees are not supposed to show any of their political affiliations, for fear of alienating a prospective source. I understand that. However, it can make the editing process a lot more uncomfortable if something is said. For example, if I was to criticize John McCain's view on immigration, and to demean him for it, I may alienate a reporter. It may create for a more strained relationship.

I have learned to be more respectful, and as a result, I would say more informed. If I have an opinion on a political candidate, I really need to be able to back it up. Saying "Obama is stupid" just will not do. I would need to know why he is stupid. That way if it is something defaming someone, it will not simply be a blind insult.

I know this may not seem relevant, but it does really help to build a rapport between reporters and editors. It is still something I am working on.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

There is nothing that bothers me more than a newspaper that is so heavily biased that it becomes painful to read. When people publish their ideas about the candidates and they are just negative without any real reason for being that way, it bothers me as a reader. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you should know why you feel that way. I think it is very important for editors to moderate this type of writing because in the long run you have saved that reporter from putting something out there they may regret.

Eric Heisig said...

I have no problem with reporters and people having opinions, it's just that they need to be backed up with good evidence. I think that is lacking a lot of the time, and it makes me catch myself. I try to be informed.