Wednesday, December 3, 2008

How much editing does editing entail?

This blog is starting to sound like me putting all my editing problems on a public forum, but oh well.

There is a certain way I like to have things worded. I want everything to read that way. However, there are other writers who have their own style. It's different, but it works for them. it's not any better or worse, it just kind of...is.

When I started as an editor, the first thing I wanted to do was to make it read well for me. It didn't matter if the reporter had any preferences, it was my way or the highway.

Needless to say, it didn't work very well. I may have not got any really huge complaints, but I definitely did feel some discomfort as the editing process went on.

As the semester wore on, I decided to loosen up a bit. After all, just because it is worded differently, it doesn't mean it is wrong, right?

I think I have gotten better with this. The editing process, as far as grammar goes, has gotten easier for me. I am a bit more lenient as long as a word or phrase is grammatically correct, I will let it slide. Sometimes I will change it just because it will sound better in my eyes. I will give in a bit, but not all the time either way.

A person who writes "John's brother" is not wrong if I think it should be written "brother of John." It is merely a preference.

No comments: