Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My alter ego

This is a test post. Right now, I (hopefully) am not being graded yet, so I figure I may as well try out the new blog with some useless (or useful) information.

I created an alter ego when I was a freshman in college: Eric Q. Awesome. I don't know if the alter ego really has a different personality than I do, but I really, really liked the name.

The "Eric", of course, is my first name, so that was a given. The "Q", on the other hand, comes from the phrase "John Q. Public." I remember hearing Phil Hartman saying it in an interview, and I thought it was the funniest thing I have ever heard. To this day, I still laugh about it. So I guess the "Q" means I am for everyone (whether or not that is true is up for debate).

Then comes the "Awesome"...it really doesn't have any significance. I just liked the ring of it. Eric Q. Awesome. Now THAT is a name.

I started using the name when I worked at WZND at Illinois State University. I would only use it occasionally, and I think I thought it was so ridiculous, it would work as a DJ name. I didn't use it constantly, but I would occasionally, just to keep the listeners on their toes. I did a show as a sophomore called "The 80s Rewind," a radio show that played all 80s music, and I would often use the name when talking to my co-hosts. For some reason, it always made them laugh.

These days, I only pull out the name on special occasions. It really doesn't have any meaning, but I still like to tell people it is my "alter ego." Still, when people ask what the alter ego is like, I don't know what to say. Is it really that different? I really don't know...

Note: This relates to news because I talk about my experience with radio (I know that is stretching a little thin, but this was only a test).

3 comments:

@jefollis said...

only a test ... if this had been an actual emergency, Mr. E would have had you tune to ...

LKH said...

definitely a perfect DJ name!

Colleen said...

What made you decide to be a print major instead of a broadcast major if you used to be on the radio?